The Knife I Almost Returned, and Why I Am Glad I Did Not

I nearly sent one back once. Fresh out of the box the edge felt fine

but not amazing, and I remember thinking I paid too much for what I

was holding. Almost boxed it back up that same week.


Glad I did not, because the edge kept getting better for about the

first month of actual use. Not sharper exactly, more like it settled

into itself.A few light touch ups on a stone and it started cutting the way I expected it to from the start. For anyone interested in the basics of keeping a knife edge in good shape, this knife sharpening guide covers the process we use.   Turns out that is a real

thing with hand forged blades and not just something people say to

sound like they know steel, forging refines the grain structure in a

way that stock removal blanks do not go through, and it takes a

little actual use before that difference shows up in how the edge

behaves.


Would not have known that if I had returned it in week one. Now it is

the knife I actually reach for daily, and the one I tell people not to

judge too fast out of the box.


Anyone else have a knife that took a minute to win you over?                                                                                 

Byline: Cole Ransom

Account: sofia@blackmambaknives.com
Tier: Company
Blog: Notes From the Whetstone

Comments